Suffolk Federal has never forgotten its roots. Long Island-born and bred, the banking institution has built a legacy of giving back and supporting the communities they call home.
Suffolk Federal celebrated a successful 2018 with a year-long array of meaningful customer outreach, events and promotions which have raised part of the nearly $100,000 dollars contributed to local nonprofits and charitable organizations focused on specific causes. “Our commitment to the members, dedication to service and support to strengthen the communities where we do business is stronger than ever,” said Ralph D. Spencer, Jr., Suffolk Federal President and CEO. “Giving back and enriching our local communities is both a mission and a passion for Suffolk Federal,” he continued.
Throughout this past year, Suffolk Federal has participated and supported a wide array of charitable events and the results have been impressive. Highlights include:
- Community Partners: One of the focuses of Suffolk Federal has been on building meaningful relationships in each community where the financial institution does business and being an essential partner by supporting the causes and initiatives that serve such a vital role with improving Long Island. Among efforts supported are the annual LI2DAY Breast Cancer Fundraiser which encourages the public to make a donation in exchange for a gift to take home to a loved one. This year, members came together to donate more than $2,500 to the organization, plus Suffolk Federal sponsors the organization with an additional $3,000 donation. Suffolk Federal also partners with the Girl Scouts of Suffolk County, the largest youth-serving nonprofit agency on Long Island, which serves more than 40,000 girls. And each holiday, Suffolk Federal joins forces with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island to provide holiday gifts, meals and other necessities to more than 100 families.
- Support for Local Community Initiatives: To further enhance support in Long Island communities, each Suffolk Federal branch is provided an opportunity to select initiatives which they are passionate about in order to support the mission or efforts of those organizations. Throughout the year, Suffolk Federal branches selected such worthwhile organizations and initiatives including Helping Makes U Happy, Commack Fire Department, West Babylon Public Library, The Butterfly Effect Project in Eastport, the Port Jefferson Lion’s Club, The Sayville Food Pantry and much more.
- Supporting Our Veterans: For the third year in a row, Suffolk Federal served as Lead Sponsor for extreme distance ultra-marathon runner and Suffolk Federal’s Senior VP of Information Technology Eva Casale as she completed an incredible seven marathons in seven days to raise funds and awareness for Hope for the Eva ran a total of 184 miles during her “Every Veteran Appreciated Week.” Each marathon focused on honoring local servicemen killed in action and was linked to communities they called home. With a donation from Suffolk Federal combined with individual donations, the events raised nearly $30,000.
- All American Pet Paw-rade & Adoption Celebration: It was “howling” great time as Suffolk Federal “paid it forward” in the summer to those who participated in this fun-filled event which encouraged pet adoption and raised awareness about animal rescue and welfare. Suffolk Federal donated over $3,000 to local rescue and welfare charities who were in attendance to support their mission and efforts. Suffolk Federal also collected pet food and supplies which were provided to Baxter’s Food Pantry at Long Island Cares – the Harry Chapin Food Bank.
- Supporting Education through Suffolk Federal Scholarship Program: Suffolk Federal supported members in making their educational dreams come true by offering local high-school seniors a chance to win scholarships. Suffolk Federal awarded scholarships of $1,500 each to ten young deserving members. One scholarship winner also receives an additional $2,500 scholarship provided by the LT Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation which Suffolk Federal matches for a total of $5,000.
- Suffolk Federal Volunteer Team: Suffolk Federal employees are committed to social responsibility. They have volunteered hundreds of hours of their own time at community sponsored events and programs to raise funds, support local programs and provide assistance and expertise in order to make a positive impact for others and contribute something of value here on Long Island.
Support for Members with Increased Services, Products and Opportunities
In addition to its charitable work, the credit union also provided an abundance of innovative tools and opportunities designed to enhance members’ financial success including:
- Opening of New Branch at St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson: Suffolk Federal opened it s 10th branch on Long Island this year. The branch opening follows the strategic merger of Long Island Community Federal Credit Union with Suffolk Federal.
- Technology & Website: Technology is a core focus for Suffolk Federal. With today’s increasingly mobile environment, the credit union is continuously offering new technology and enhancing their app which was designed to simplify life by providing everything a member needs for mobile banking. Suffolk Federal website is user-friendly and mobile responsive providing members an exciting, inviting and bold look with an enhanced user-friendly experience and innovative, including technology tools to help protect members from fraud, credit and identification theft. These tools include:
- CardValetMobile App
Provides real-time notifications when the debit card is used. Members can lock their card anytime.
- Suffolk Credit Cards App
Allows members to take an active role in protecting credit card accounts.
- Digital Wallet
Users can shop without carrying credit or debit cards. Proactively safeguards personal identity and cards using the latest encryption technology.
- CardValetMobile App
- Financial Education and Counseling Tools: Suffolk Federal partnered once again with GreenPath, a financial education and counseling program that offers financial counselling and education to empower those in need to ease financial stress, manage debt, save for the future, make smart financial decisions, and achieve financial goals.
- First Home Club Account: To support first-time homebuyers with navigating the home buying process, Suffolk Federal continued to offer its members the Federal Home Loan Bank of New York’s First Home Club (“FHC”), a program designed to assist moderate and low-income first-time homebuyers in the purchase of a new home. As part of this initiative, the credit union held several free informational seminars in both English and Spanish for the general public.
- Miscellaneous: Suffolk Federal continues to implement member programs including Defensive Driving Classes, PetPlan Pet Insurance and much more